Thursday, January 8, 2009

GTFO Mah Tank!

The Comcast backbone we're connected to spazzed mid raid last night, halting it entirely because you can't go very far when you're missing a healer, both tanks, and a rogue. It took forever to come back up. You're costing me Sapph practice time, Comcast! Rawr. But that's not what I'm here to bitch about.

Now, I like the synergy between the our three normal healers in the 10 man runs. It's me, a holy priest, and a resto shammy. I sometimes quibble with the holy priest, though, for one simple reason:

He tries to take my damned job.

After Anub, I whisper the GM about how I hate all my heals on the MT being overheals while the OT is threatening to splat (I beacon'd him but he was often out of range). It was as much a random whine to a friend as a legitimate complaint, though it's not the first time I've had the Priest say he's healing the tank and made the O.o face. Then we came to the Widow, and the Priest pipes up with healing asignments over vent.

"Okay, I'll take Mach, OtherPriest take Zoja, Amber you get the raid."

"Wait wait wait wait wait," I spluttered over vent. The holy priests get the tanks and I get the raid? Seriously?

Macharious cut me off. Wisely? Perhaps. "Amber gets Zoja, OtherPriest gets raid."

Now, Priest isn't a bad guy. He's actually a great, generous guildie. He's certainly not a bad healer. He just has NO CLUE about the other healers he's running with. I used to do healing assignments in ZA, and to start I flat out asked the shammys what they were best at because I had no clue. Raid heals? Kay. Raid heals it was. While I know that a holy priest can keep up a tank just fine, it's pretty silly to put the aoe healer on the tank and the single target healer on the raid.

While this situation makes me grouse, it also makes me want to go read up on resto druids and shamans, so that I better understand them. All I know is tree = HoTs (and aggro magnet, it seems like), and shaman = chainhealsomg! I had a very polite tree once ask me to not top off the DPS he's HoTed if they weren't in danger, as that wastes his mana. Oops! I try reeeeally hard not to do that anymore and have turned my UI's HoTs display on. I miss that tree. :(

This should probably be the goal of every raid healer. Learning about your other healers can help you work together better. Working well together = less death! Less death = yaaaaay!

Well. I had meant to write something useful today, but I actually had to work at work. Strange!

I promise less Amber QQ in the next post. Maybe I'll even be funny! I've heard rumors that I do that on occassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment